Photo: AFP
Image credit: http://news.yahoo.com/photos/colombian-city-gets-giant-outdoor-escalator-1324953638-slideshow/
Images credit: http://www.emirates247.com/offbeat/colombia-gets-giant-outdoor-escalator-2011-12-27-1.434701
Officials say the inhabitants of the Colombian slum will now take only six minutes instead of the 35-minute hike on foot up the hillside.
Cesar Hernandez, head of projects for Medellin, said the electric stairway is divided into six sections and has a length of 384 meters (1,260 feet).
Mayor Alonso Salazar described Comuna 13 as the city's district that has "suffered the greatest urban violence... but lately this has been receding and we hope this social package will help it move forward".
Now if only Malaysia will learn from Colombia!
I was at the Taman Indrahana Toastmasters meeting yesterday and the torrential downpour must have kept many members away because I only counted twenty of us that came.
Still, as always it was a good meeting with Karen Cheah and Michael Kum slowly but steadily showing us their increasing confidence as competent speakers. Better still, they have the benefit of good evaluations from Dr. Devi Menon and Chrristine Ngiam respectively. Even Chan Siew Peng has shown good improvement as a Toastmaster-of-the-Evening.
It is always heartening to see a Toastmasters club that are determined to show progress at every meeting! As for me, I did not undertake any role and I was content to sit quietly and listen to the speeches and evaluations.






No comments:
Post a Comment