US car manufacturer Ford have said they plan to lay off 4,000 of their workforce in Europe, becoming the latest automaker to try to slash costs.
The job cuts represent about 14% of Ford’s 28,000 workforce in Europe and around 2.3% of their total workforce of 174,000, and will be completed by the end of 2027, the company said on Wednesday. The bulk of the layoffs will take place in Germany, where 2,900 positions are under threat, and in UK, with an expected 800 jobs to be deleted.
The US carmaker will be the latest after Nissan, Stellantis, and GM to resort to the drastic cost-cutting step as the automotive sector faces challenges, including weak EV sales.
For sure, the measure will exact a heavy blow to the EU’s top economy, Germany, where the bloc’s biggest carmaker – Volkswagen – earlier announced that they would consider plant closures or layoffs for the first time in their 87-year history.
In September, thousands of demonstrators stormed Brussels to protest Volkswagen’s plans to shut down the Audi facility in the Belgian capital.
The development comes as EU automakers are facing their worst months since the Covid-19 pandemic. Car sales within the bloc have fallen by 200,000 vehicles in the first eight months of 2024 compared to the same period last year, according to the Center for Automotive Research.
Malaysia's Sivasangari Subramaniam was stopped in the semi-finals of the Singapore Squash Open today when she lost to world No. 10 Amina Orfi 3-1: 5-11, 6-11, 12-10, 8-11 in 64 minutes.
It was the Egyptian's third win over Sivasangari in four encounters.
I'm disappointed but it is what it is.



















