Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Najib Razak Says He's Unsure

Yesterday, Prime Minister Najib Razak (left) said the Warisan Merdeka monolith – remember he introduced this mega-project in his 2011 Budget announcement in October? – will proceed if it is commercially viable. 

Previously, he was so convinced about building this monument, and yesterday, he was not so sure anymore! Does this mean that when he announced this 100-storey project, it was to get the people riled up? Or maybe, he just need to brag? Or was it because of the overwhelming objections from the public at large that caused him now to change his mind?

Even ex-PM Mahathir Mohamad had blogged that there was a possibility of the bubble bursting from the overbuilding in Kuala Lumpur. He had expressed concern over the low occupancy rate of high-rise buildings in the city. Of course, with Mahathir, when he speaks, you also cannot be sure if you can believe him or not! 

But believe me when I say the said enterprise will definitely press on because at the end of the day, it's a Najib feel-good project. 

Arsenal cruised through to the semi-finals of the Carling Cup with an easy 2-0 victory over a disappointing Wigan. 

They came from an own goal and Nicklas Bendtner's close range effort in the sixty-seventh minute. In fact, the Gunners could have produced an avalanche of goals but they continue to be plagued by poor finishing. 

The other game was even more one-sided! West Ham hammered the Red Devils 4-0 and knocking holders Manchester United out of the Carling Cup. And just in case you’re thinking Alex Ferguson was fielding a kids’ team – the starting XI could still boast the likes of Ryan Giggs, Darren Fletcher and Javier Hernandez. Hurrah for the Hammers! I'm always happy to see Manchester United hammered!

Alia Nadhirah’s invitation saw me making the trip to Cyberjaya to attend the Multimedia University Toastmasters Club meeting this evening. In fact, this is my fifty-first Toastmasters club that I have visited this year. 

There, I was the General Evaluator as well as the speech evaluator for Alia who has happily taken on the challenge to deliver her first advanced speech from the Storytelling manual. 

I enjoyed the meeting because these young Toastmasters showed immense potential. And that’s the great thing about “clubbing” – having the opportunity to meet fresh-faced Toastmasters who are part of the Toastmasters fraternity but whom I am unlikely to meet unless I turn up at their own club meetings. 

“Clubbing” does enrich my own Toastmastering experience too – I learn from them as much as they learn from me! There’s a lot of sharing at these meetings, and I am glad that I am a part of it.

No comments: