Monday, January 3, 2022

NSC Forsake Low Wee Wern and 9 Others

I was very much aggrieved when I read the news in the New Straits Times that Low Wee Wern (right) and nine of her fellow squash players had been unceremoniously axed from the Podium Program following the National Sports Council's directive to downsize full-time athletes from 432 to 288 due to budget cuts. 

The former world No. 5 was the highest-profile casualty and it was the manner in which she was cast aside that was so wrong! 

Wee Wern is, after all, only one of two players in Malaysia who has ever reached the top five in the world – the other being eight-time world champion Nicol David. 

Apart from being a consistent top-10 player before an unfortunate anterior cruciate ligament injury to her left knee in 2015, Wee Wern was also the only other Malaysia who had tasted success on the PSA World Tour with her 2014 China Open triumph. 

Not to mention that she was a key figure in Malaysia's success at the Asian Games for many years and played an important role in the nation's historic run to finishing second at the Women's World Team Championships in 2014. 

Wee Wern, however, suffered another injury, this time to the right knee, and was forced to undergo another medical procedure in a bid to be fit for this year's Asian Games and Commonwealth Games. She is currently in her rehabilitation stage following her surgery. 

Anyway, her sacrifices are now in vain as the NSC have deemed her surplus to requirements. 

You can’t blame her for feeling really upset because as she said: "It definitely feels like I've been used and then tossed away". 

She added: "I have given up so much for the country and made so many sacrifices throughout the years. I had scholarships to study in the United States when I was young, but I turned them down because I wanted to play squash for Malaysia. 

And it's just really frustrating the way the NSC have done things as they didn't even have the decency to sit down and have a discussion with me about it. 

I'm not feeling bitter. There is no point to be bitter, but I just feel disrespected after everything I've done. After all, I've proven that you can reach the top five in the world despite training in Malaysia and not going overseas. 

That has certainly opened the doors for local players and coaches, but now the NSC have shown that there is no point wanting to do well". 

As Wee Wern's coach, Aaron Soyza said: "She has made her mark and has been one of the elite players who has been on the leanest budget. We understand the budget cuts, but the least they could do is to have a dialogue with us as we are not even asking for much. There was zero communication right until after the decision was made”. 

She and the others don’t deserve to be treated that way! Shame on you, NSC!

No comments: