Ten Kuantan locals had filed a suit on February 17, 2012 challenging the Atomic Energy Licensing Board's (AELB) authority in approving the TOL for Lynas Corp's rare earth plant in Gebeng. Yesterday, the High Court rejected the residents’ judicial review application. It was made all the more bizarre when Justice Rohana Yusof justified her decision by saying that she did not want to embarrass the Science, Technology and Innovation minister should the latter decide differently from the court on Lynas Corp's temporary occupational licence (TOL).
Kuantan MP Fuziah Salleh admitted she was disturbed by the decision. As I read the said news report on webpage http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/why-consider-ministers-feelings-in-lynas-decision-pkr-mp-asks-court/, dated April 12, 2012 – I too felt that the judge seemed more concerned about the minister’s feelings than making a decision that is strictly based on facts. I was perplexed and perturbed. The independence of the judiciary has come under the spotlight again.
Kuantan MP Fuziah Salleh admitted she was disturbed by the decision. As I read the said news report on webpage http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/why-consider-ministers-feelings-in-lynas-decision-pkr-mp-asks-court/, dated April 12, 2012 – I too felt that the judge seemed more concerned about the minister’s feelings than making a decision that is strictly based on facts. I was perplexed and perturbed. The independence of the judiciary has come under the spotlight again.

Liverpool beat Blackburn 3-2 as they sought to end their worst league run since 1953. The first two goals came from Maxi Rodriguez (13, 16) and the decisive winner was from Andy Carroll who fired past Blackburn stopper Paul Robinson (90).


No comments:
Post a Comment