Friday, March 27, 2026

WSC's Fifty-second Meeting

Six members (and two guests) convened the World Speakers' Coalition Kuala Lumpur's fifty-second meeting Tuesday – and our rendezvous was a new venue, i.e., Uncle Don's at TTDI, Kuala Lumpur. 

We had a quirky meeting theme: "Coffee (some say beer) solves everything". 

I daresay the host himself possessed a quirky sense of humor and he spun his address with threads of wit and charm.

And he prompted attendees to engage in badinage and infuse their speeches with banter. 

The general idea was to put the spotlight on poking fun at everyday life and common experiences that we could relate to. It was about seeing the funny side to everything and more importantly, to challenge ourselves in our speechmaking. Whether we employed self-deprecating humor or sharing awkward, even vulnerable stories, we embraced our fallibilities, accepted our own contradictions and complexities and in the process, we actually encouraged empathy. 

For those of us who are serious about public speaking, the test is not merely to be funny, but to use humor as a strategic tool to foster friendship bonds, nourish relationships and deepen connections. 

It's fair to say we all tried hard to rise to the occasion although I didn't think we were humorous, to be honest. I dare not pass judgement as I can't recollect the speeches now. I think it is also true for the others who were present. Never mind, we'll just blame it on the caffeine and/or beer/whiskey-induced state we were all subjected to! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Oh, I forgot to mention that I organized this meeting. I had intended to inject some serious 'fun-ctionality' into the meeting! After all, as the ringmaster of this circus, I decided to exercise my pretend authority to run this meeting exactly how I wanted it, mostly because I didn't know how else to do it. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Behold, the official documentation of this particular meeting:



































































#publicspeaking
#theartandscienceofrhetoric 
#confidentcommunication 
#communicationinnovations 
#worldspeakerscoalition

No comments: