Believe you me, stage fright is no laughing matter.
I've been presenting to large audiences and group events for a long time now and I can admit that I still get the heebie-jeebies before I start.
But it’s okay to succumb to jitters.
Why? Because I care. Because I want to do a good job. Because I don't want to let myself down.
Stage fright is a normal occurrence experienced by a lot of people when placed in front of an audience. It has even been claimed that 90% of people feel nervous or extremely nervous before speaking up.
Sure, stage fright and fear of public speaking can make you tremble and shake, feel dizzy, have increased heart rate, turn bright red and sweat profusely. These experiences can make you think twice about agreeing to go on stage and speak.
But I can tell you it’s more likely to be an overreaction on your part. If you can accept that nerves are part of the public speaking experience, it will help you to leverage and manage them, rather than react to them. Not being nervous is not necessarily an indicator of an effective speaker! The key is not to let your fear of public speaking turn into full-blown stage fright.
And here is the most heartening piece of news. The audience DOES NOT WANT you to fail. They share your stress and anxiety when things don’t go smoothly. Despite your first thought, they are your ally through this and are willing you to get through this well.
Plus, as important as you might think you are, it should be your content that is the star of the show, you are merely there to deliver the message effectively and appropriately.
You can do it! All of us can do it!
Speak. With. Composure. Confidence. Conviction.





No comments:
Post a Comment