Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lynas Blemishes Australia Day Event in KL

Lynas Malaysia is still refusing to budge from this country. 

On Wednesday, some 30 protesters showed their displeasure towards Lynas Malaysia at an event at the KL Convention Center – where the Australian High Commission was hosting an Australia Day celebration, with sponsorship from Lynas Corporation! 

The determined band of demonstrators led by Himpunan Hijau chief Wong Tack displayed anti-Lynas banners and attempted to present themselves at the do in order to convey their opposition to High Commission officials. They demanded that the Australian government respect Malaysians’ wish with regard to Lynas. 

Plain-clothes security quickly moved in to stop the protest and there were minor scuffles. 

















 
Finally, a representative from the Australian High Commission intervened and he had the good sense to apologize and then he was all ears to listen to the grievances. 

Senior opposition politician Tian Chua said he and other opposition members of parliament were boycotting the function because of the Lynas sponsorship. 

"We have already stated that Lynas is an unwelcome investment," he told AFP. "It's against our principles." 

Won’t the Australian government listen? Malaysians want Lynas out of the country! And if they don't listen well, it is time we take our gloves off!

Last evening I was at 1 Sentral in KL Sentral to attend the PricewaterhouseCoopers and Allianz Toastmasters joint meeting. The venue may be the PwC office but the Allianz members easily outnumbered PwC members. Certainly, there were good speeches from both parties and I enjoyed them. And the evaluations too were up to the mark. 

Sure I was unhappy because we did not start on time – but this time around, I focused on the fun aspects of the meeting and completely ignored their tardiness. I decided to just examine the positives and instead tried to share how Toastmastering, if done right, can benefit us in more ways than just improving our communication and leadership skills. I shall give this meeting a score of a 5 over 10. 





















































No comments: