Friday, January 10, 2014

Brave Starts Here

I recommend you to check it out:


The timing was almost perfect. Somebody posted the above video recording and I watched and I listened. And tears rolled down on one side of my cheek. 

It was timely. And it was not a coincidence. Yesterday, I delivered my CC speech #10 titled “I Am Angry” at the One World Toastmasters meeting and the speech was about me being angry, always angry with myself because I deemed I am “not good enough”. It’s not about making speeches only. It’s more than that – in everything that I do, I didn’t think what I did was good enough. And there were times too when I wanted to just give up. 

I am only human. I have more than my share of frailties, weaknesses and vulnerabilities. And I am glad that I was introduced to Lizzie Velasquez.

This beautiful person was once labeled ‘The World’s Ugliest Woman’ and she gave me a hard knock on the head. She asks the question “What defines you?” And she makes me think. And think. And think. 

You know the answer if you have viewed the speech in the said clip! As she says, “Brave starts here”! 

Victor Ong is not about to give up. And I have become braver.

I am thankful to One World Toastmasters for giving me a speaking slot and so, I was able to complete my twelfth round of the Competent Communication manual. I have already started on my thirteenth and very soon, I will also begin on my fourteenth and fifteenth rounds. 

Certainly, I intend to speak, speak and speak. Fluently, facilely and fluidly. This means I have to practice, practice and practice. Practice is everything! 

But my idea of practice is in front of a live audience. I agree with Vince Lombardi that “Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect”. What better way to aim for perfect practice when the audience judges me every time I come up to speak! 

Coming back to the Toastmasters meeting at KL’s Jalan Genting Klang, it was, as always, a good meeting. I have made a total of four visits (two meetings, i.e. September 27 and November 22, 2012, one meeting on November 14, 2013 and so far, one meeting in 2014) to this club and every time I went there, I enjoyed myself greatly. 

Yesterday was no different. I would give this meeting a score of 8 over 10. 













No comments: