Monday, April 12, 2010

Dr. Pornthip Withdraws

I am finalizing arrangements for my Advanced Communicator Gold-qualifying speeches that will commence tomorrow. So far, 6 Toastmasters Clubs have confirmed they would give me speaking slots. I must give it my all in order to be ready for this speech marathon that is expected to last just 10 days. On top of that, I am also re-writing my speech for the impending Division W contest. I just love this sort of challenge, don't I? It is either I can do it or I cannot. Unless I try, I will not find out how far I can push myself, right?

Thai pathologist Dr. Pornthip Rojanasunand's reported pull-out from testifying in the Teoh Beng Hock inquest next week due to political interference has raised fears among the Teoh family and the DAP that the case is being tampered with at the highest level. The Selangor government has confirmed the Thai pathologist is not returning when the inquest resumes on April 20 but they want the coroner to agree to testimony via video-conferencing.

Dr Pornthip had allegedly claimed that she was forced to do so because of “political pressure” from Putrajaya that could affect her work in southern Thailand. However Mohamed Nazri, Minister in the Prime Minister's Department believes that Dr Pornthip is lying because she cannot defend her testimonial in the inquest (Webapge http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/index.php/malaysia/59558-nazri-asks-who-is-stopping-dr-pornthip, posted today).

This inquest is proving to be very challenging for those who are trying to get to the bottom of Teoh’s death.

No comments: