Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Zoom Dressing for WFH

I reckon this prolonged Covid lockdown is a real bummer and it has made me become way too casual and perhaps a tad too easygoing. 

If I am in Zoom meetings – and if they are conducted in a non-office environment, I know I should still look professional. I forget that sometimes – and I shouldn’t. 

In an in-person meeting, I wouldn’t feel as though my appearance is under a microscope, constantly being scrutinized by colleagues and clients alike. But on the computer screen, much of the other physical elements are removed leading to a wave of new uncertainties over how to present myself. 

What’s more, if I’m working from home, it makes it so much easier to justify sweatpants or even shorts as an acceptable uniform. After all, I don’t leave the house for days on end – so why would I change out of what I’m normally wearing around the house? 

The thing is, my subconscious mind would associate putting on formal clothing with going to work and is strongly correlated with confidence and productivity, which is why it’s important I maintain a version of my office attire even when I’m WFH. When I dress in a presentable manner, I know I’ll make a good first impression because I’ll come off as professional and confident. 

Besides, according to a 2010 national poll conducted by the Center for Professional Excellence at York College of Pennsylvania, USA, appearance ranked second only to communication skills when respondents named qualities most often associated with professionalism. Indeed, how an individual dresses for work can be a powerful extension of his or her personal brand. 

After all, clothes make the man.


I don’t have to go for the full monty – it’s alright to just opt for Zoom dressing. Meaning, getting dressed from the waist up, 

And for me, that’ll be a dress shirt with shorts.


When it comes to clothing, there is a strong case to be made for dressing the part in order to act the part. 

As I navigate my WFH-life, this separation of wardrobe between on and off-duty helps to create more structured normalcy. God knows, I need that!

No comments: