US President Donald Trump is busy these days, fending off problems and predicaments that tirelessly assail him.
In August, Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance subpoenaed Trump’s personal and corporate tax returns from 2011 to 2018, and other records from the president’s long-time accounting firm Mazars USA.
The subpoena is part of a criminal probe into Trump and his family business. However, the scope of that probe is not publicly known.
Vance’s investigation comes amid an impeachment inquiry and investigations into Trump’s finances by Democrats in the US House of Representatives.
Anyway, Trump did not sit still and instead, he sued Vance’s office in Manhattan federal court to block the subpoena, arguing that as a sitting president, he cannot be subject to criminal investigation.
Yesterday, Trump’s lawyer had informed a federal appeals court that the president does not have to hand over his tax returns to New York state prosecutors.
William Consovoy maintained that Trump has immunity until he leaves office. And he crowed that prosecutors would not even have the power to do anything if Trump shot somebody on 5th Avenue in New York City, USA.
The remark echoed an exact comment made by Trump, who had once declared his supporters are so loyal that he could gun down someone and not even lose a single vote!
All hail Donald Trump, Emperor of the United States of America!
Yesterday, I was in Bangsar South, KL to attend the Air Products Toastmasters meeting.
Thanks to Eddie Lai, I was given a speaking slot – and I presented another CC#4 speech titled The Grim Reaper.
I was also a speech evaluator for an Ice-breaker.
I must say I felt really good about this Toastmasters meeting because their members seem to genuinely embrace Toastmasters. I don’t know how to express this any better but it is something I detect and observe.
Mind you, it is not something that is random or selective; rather it embraces every single member who was there – and that’s pretty extraordinary. I’m sure Lai must have played an important part in this – and in my book, he is an unsung hero.
















No comments:
Post a Comment