Tuesday, October 8, 2019

3 Politicians' Body Language

Desmond Morris (right) is most famous for his work as a zoologist and ethologist as well as a popular author in human sociobiology. He is renowned for his 1967 book The Naked Ape, and for his television programs such as Zoo Time. 

Now Desmond Morris is spending time watching politicians and he has concluded that they are a breed apart, with a body language that speaks volumes. 

Check out this video from UK’s The Telegraph that focuses on two colourful characters US President Donald Trump and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and an ordinary British bloke, named Jeremy Corbyn, Leader of the Labour Party and Leader of the Opposition since 2015:
Trump has been described “a master of domineering body language” and Johnson “super-exaggerates” gesticulations to convey “energy” – while Corbyn is somebody with “virtually no body language”. I don't mean any disrespect but Corbyn reminds me of a talking stiff.










All I can say is that when you compare the three of them, the contrast is massive!

Yesterday, I was at the Universiti Malaya Toastmasters meeting – I was there as a speech evaluator for a Level 3 speech on Persuasive Influence.

It was a good meeting but I also recognize the club members need to properly learn public speaking if they really aspire to be good public speakers. 

I'm only saying this because I think there are many who show promise. To build confidence through the Toastmasters program is great but surely, after that, I'm sure Toastmasters too, desire to improve their communication skills, if not public speaking skills. 

Just my thoughts.















 




No comments: