MAD Magazine, the irreverent and highly influential satirical magazine that gave the world Alfred E Neuman, will no longer be sold on newsstands after the August 2019 issue.
And future editions will shift to previously published material with new covers.
MAD is a wicked collection of popular culture, politics and advertising skewered in a clever and funny and subversive way. Yes, I can say that I grew up with MAD.
The venerable humor magazine was founded by editor Harvey Kurtzman and publisher William Gaines in 1952 at EC Comics. At its peak in the mid-1970s, MAD had 2 million subscribers. And it has been called “America’s best political satire magazine.
Check out Noah Scalin’s portrait of Alfred E Neuman made entirely out of stickers. He said he was inspired by the reboot of the magazine (which featured new works by artists inspired by growing up reading MAD).
Image credit: Webpage https://boingboing.net/2019/07/05/att-vs-bill-gaines.html
And here’s the art work captured in this time-lapse video:
I can certainly appreciate the painstaking effort because the eclectic stickers magically match the crazy vibe of the magazine and the character with the toothy grin. It really works!
Goodbye to one of the all-time greatest American institutions. I’m going to miss MAD!





No comments:
Post a Comment