Good news for home-based roaches – you guys are meant to be on this planet for a very long time to come. There’s no way you are ever going to get exterminated any time soon.
A professor of entomology has claimed that cockroach populations are rapidly evolving to become “almost impossible” to kill with chemicals alone.
When cockroaches survive an insecticide treatment, they and their offspring quickly become “essentially immune” to it – at least according to Michael Scharf whose study had been published in Scientific Reports.
Crucially, they also develop immunity to a range of other insecticides, even if they were never exposed to them – something scientists call “cross-resistance”.
This means one unsuccessful pest control treatment can kick-start a cycle of unsuccessful pest control.
Still, the team from Purdue University conceded that insecticides remain an important component in controlling cockroach populations.
Note the word used here is ‘control’ – not ‘eliminate’.
Even so, the most effective way to deal with infestations is to combine pesticides with other methods – including traps, improved sanitation and vacuums.
I do know that cockroach lovers – like me – are heaving big sighs of relief and flashing big grins!
Yesterday, I was in Cyberjaya, Selangor to attend the T-Systems Cyberjaya Toastmasters meeting – where I was both a speaker as well as the General Evaluator:
My project speech was from the Advanced manual Specialty Speeches – Project #1 Speak Off the Cuff – and my topic was given to me on that very day itself by my Evaluator.
I had no desire to follow the manual’s suggestion to provide him with five possible topics – in order that he can pick one at random and only then I speak based on that selection. I wanted to do a really impromptu speech.
Tejinder Singh’s topic was something he thought of himself – AI: Boon or Bane.
And I believe I did well. Well, at least according to my speech evaluator.
This club encourages members to provide feedback to speakers and even role players – and I’m going to share the one that I received on Wednesday:


















No comments:
Post a Comment