Friday, June 14, 2019

Beep! Beep!

I grew up on a staple diet of cartoons and I remembered Wiley E Coyote (also known simply as 'the Coyote') and the Road Runner in particular. Indeed, this cartoon series was very well-received, if not thoroughly enjoyed.

In each episode, the Coyote repeatedly attempts to catch the Road Runner for his dinner – coming up with absurdly complex contraptions but sadly, he is never successful.











It always possesses its violent moments of intentional slapstick, no matter what.












I learned from a post on boingboing.com yesterday that Chuck Jones – he is best known for his work on the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons – had established 9 rules when creating Wiley E Coyote and the Road Runner!























My view is that rules are constraints really – they cannot be a good thing when embarking on creative projects.

It is popularly said that the cartoon series is tiresomely repetitive and therefore, unfunny. 

I beg to differ because I actually enjoy the mayhem the two characters create. 

The above is good to know, I suppose.

No comments: