Reality star Kim Kardashian proudly tweeted on Tuesday that she has named her line of shapewear Kimono – and it got people really pissed.
The kimono (着物, きもの) is nothing like the full-body fat flattener that Kardashan was referring to.
The traditional Japanese garment is imbued with cultural significance that Kardashian is ignoring for the purpose of a confusing pun.
Kardashan’s version is actually an underwear, designed to supposedly create smooth lines under clothing.
Critics are taking to social media to call Kim out for cultural appropriation, with comments ranging from "My culture is not your plaything" to "My culture is not your brand name generator".
People are also sharing pictures of themselves in actual kimonos as a reminder about where the name originates from.
This is Kim Kardashian’s kwest to kapitalize on kultures not her own. I call it ‘disrespect’.
I don't think Kardashan (right) gives two hoots about the protests directed at her Kimono Intimates.
Yesterday, responding to an SOS, I helped out at the Petronas HRM Upstream: Speak Up With Confidence workshop.
Yesterday, responding to an SOS, I helped out at the Petronas HRM Upstream: Speak Up With Confidence workshop.
When it involves Public Speaking, it is always a satisfying experience – irrespective of who the participants are, whether schoolchildren, university students and/or professionals – when they transform to become better communicators and knowing I had played a part.




















No comments:
Post a Comment