At the Joint Area B1 & B2 Humorous & Evaluation Speech Contest, I was in a happy mood. I had mentally psyched myself to be in a happy mood since last evening – so that I can deliver my best at the Humor contest. I knew to do well, I had to be in the right frame of mind. There were six contestants in all and I was the third speaker. After I heard them deliver their wit, I knew only Emil Anthony would give me a tough fight. It would be a very close finish, I thought. I was further encouraged when fellow Indrahanians all agreed that my speech was so much better than when I presented it at the club-level contest. So, I had a good chance to win! Alas, when I found out that I wasn’t placed – I knew there and then that the reason was because my speech went over the time limit. I had placed high expectations on myself and I didn't deliver! I felt hopeless and then I was angry with myself! Even I would admit it was one helluva speech but I got careless with my timing! Anyway, congratulations to Emil for winning.

In the Evaluation contest, again there were six contestants, and I also knew if anybody could challenge me – it would be the guys from MAS! The test speaker was a Lee Han Rick who did an animated speech titled "Next Year Today". In this competition too, I knew I did well but again, it would be close. I was proven right because those formidable MAS guys took home two of the three trophies. Emil Anthony was the second runner-up and Gerald Quinten was the first runner-up. When their names were announced, I knew I could be the winner. And true enough, I was proclaimed the champion.

.
But I had set my heart on winning the Humor contest. Even now, I am still feeling disappointed. I hereby pledge that I must double my efforts to aim to win the International Speech Contest when it comes around next year. I must win! I want to win! Sigh...
In the other Area B1 contest, as expected, Bernard Louis was the champion of the Evaluation contest. I will meet him and others at the Division-level contest on September 25. I hope to win! And in the Humor contest, Hui Shan emerged the champion.
I read with some amusement that MCA’s Wee is contradicting his party chief, Chua Soi Lek. Today’s Star had MCA Youth Chief Wee Ka Siong admitting that rapper Namewee may have had good intentions when he created the “Nah” video clip to criticize racism but that Wee objected to the use of vulgar words in Namewee's performance. Wee had said it was not the Asian culture to use vulgar and obscene words and even the Chinese community could not agree with the way Namewee had expressed his views (p N27).
Well, I don’t know from which planet Wee comes from, especially since he is supposed to represent MCA Youth! Unless he wishes to confess that all his party members are puritans!? Whether in schools or in colleges, on the streets or anywhere for that matter, it is not uncommon to hear a rush of profanities being spewed from mouths, careless or otherwise. Profanity has been part of the youth culture’s everyday language for quite a while now. For many, cussing is cool. But more than this, for those who engage in the outpouring of colorful language, often the speakers don't think anything of it. After all, irrespective of whether the word is vulgar or obscene – it is after all, just a word!
We must admit that we now have a public sphere where profanity is more or less acceptable. At least in my public sphere! I remember reading somewhere that former U.S. Vice-President Cheney once told Senator Patrick Leahy to go fuck himself – on the Senate floor, no less! Closer to home, Bung Mokhtar Radin, the Kinabatangan MP is well-known for turning Parliament into a coffee shop where he can freely use vulgar language and gestures and crack obscene jokes to amuse his like-minded fellow parliamentarians from BN.


And did you know that both Chaucer and Shakespeare sprinkled words like "cunt" and "piss" throughout their work, which was enjoyed in the court as well as by the public at large in those days?
So, what's the big deal anyway?


2 comments:
Victor, thanks for the comments :-). Your a great speaker and you showed me mercy by going over time.
All the best for evaluation, not sure if you know, but even Bernard was a Charter member of MAS Mawar, and still one at heart. If only the club was community and not in house. We'll meet again in Div B if not sooner.
Thanks for your kind words. You do deserve to win - irrespective of how good I think I was! But anyway, you have a shot at winning the Division-level contest, and I am with you all the way. As for me, i will take it a step at a time - I know Bernard is a formidable competitor. But whatever the outcome is, we are Toastmastewrs and we are supportive friends, all of us!
Post a Comment