Sunday, September 26, 2010

Found in Conversation in Bangsar


This evening, I went to Bangsar to attend The Nut Graph-organized "Found In Conversation" forum – today’s topic was on “Creativity and Innovation in Eco-Friendly Living”. I must confess that I found it both stimulating and engaging. And equally important was the opportunity to meet Jacqueline Ann Surin (center) in person – she was after all, the facilitator for this illuminating discussion. In fact, it was great to be there and I had an enjoyable time. I even took home two books: “Shape of a Pocket” (authored by who else, but Jacqueline) and also “Reuse” – a collection of reuse ideas that serves as an invaluable guide to eco living! I am thankful to The Nut Graph for the first book and Callie Tai (right) of Just Life Shop CEO for the second “book”. Another interesting panelist was Wild Asia Advisor Toh Su Mei (left), who gave good input. I am already looking forward to the next forum!

Cabinet ministers cannot sack or suspend any civil servants who are categorized as “permanent Government officers”, so claimed Muhyiddin and for good measure, he added that he has not seen any record of a minister taking such actions against these officers, who are under the jurisdiction of the Public Services Department (Sunday Star, September 26, 2010, p N4). As Deputy Prime Minister and also Education Minister, is he trying to tell us that he is powerless? If what he says is true, who is tasked to execute cabinet directives? What is the role of the Education Ministry if it does not have any jurisdiction over the conduct of teachers and principals? I am getting more confused whenever Muhyiddin speaks because he doesn’t make sense most of the time – perhaps because his intellect – I am being polite here because I am assuming he had one in the first place – may have abandoned him the day he slithered into the business of self-serving politics. Sigh, and Malaysians keep asking why our academic standards are declining?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for coming and participating in the discussion, Victor.