Video clips, which went viral Monday, showed a roaming pair of Malayan tapirs (Scientific name: Acrocodia indica) near Bukit Rangin Perdana in Kuantan. The pair, believed to be an adult tapir with its offspring, appeared lost as they waded through murky floodwaters.
I would argue that that is a consequence rather than a cause. I happen to believe that habitat destruction is driving wildlife into urban areas.
These endangered mammals are the largest of the five living species of tapir and the only surviving old world species. Their population is estimated to comprise less than 2,500 mature individuals.
The "Pillar of Shame" was the work of Danish sculptor Jens Galschiot – and showed piled-up corpses with anguished faces that had Western features!
This odd fact aside, I must admit I used to buy-in to the Western narrative about the said event in 1989 – but now, I know better. China did what China had to do. End of story.


No comments:
Post a Comment