Monday, December 10, 2012

3-day Traffic Jam

Image credit:

Image credit:

Image credit:

Heavy snowfall caused massive precipitation on November 30, 2012. And with strong winds and a thaw, this made the 3-feet snow more difficult to clear. This was the scene that greeted Russian motorists travelling on the M-10 motorway connecting Moscow to St Petersburg, the country’s largest cities.

As a result, monster jams formed over a 3-day period. The length of this tailback extended to 25 miles and at its worst point, the line of vehicles stretched 120 miles, starting in the Moscow region and ending in the Tver region in central Russia.

Emergency response dispatched some 175 rescuers and 100 snow-cleaning vehicles. Police said field kitchens were operating on the road, but many drivers complained supplies never reached them and they were running out of fuel to keep their engines running and heating on in subzero temperatures.

By Sunday evening, the traffic gridlock was no more than 35 miles. Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev even dispatched Transport Minister Maxim Sokolov to the Tver region on Sunday, and Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin was ordered to report to Medvedev on Monday on measures to end the jam and help stranded motorists.

So the next time, we are caught in heavy traffic, spare a thought that it could have been worse. Like what the Russian motorists experienced above.

Liverpool came from behind to stun West Ham 3-2 and move into the top half of the Premier League. The Reds scored first when Steven Gerrard spread the ball to Johnson on the right, who cut inside before turning back on to his right foot and rifling a ferocious drive beyond goalie Jussi Jaaskelainen and into the top corner (11). The Hammers equalized when Joe Allen blocked a fierce but wayward Mohamed Diame shot with his hand and referee Lee Probert pointed to the spot. Mark Noble converted the penalty in fine style with a measured finish to the right of Pepe Reina (36). And things took a turn for the worse for the Reds when Gerrard headed a Matt Jarvis cross into his own net (43). The Reds drew level thanks to another Hammers old boy – Joe Cole providing a precise finish from Sterling's slipped pass (76). Three minutes later, West Ham’s James Collins lunged in to beat Jonjo Shelvey to a low front-post cross from Jordan Henderson but the ball looped off his leg and over Jaaskelainen into the net to complete a topsy-turvy game that gave the Reds three points.

No comments: