Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mathew Lacks Persuasive Power


Left to Right: HICT Toastmasters Club Presidents – Mathew Varughese (2009-2010), Mike Cheang Chee Siang (2010-2011) and Victor Ong (2008-2009).

Last evening, HICT Toastmasters Club (finally) had their Installation Nite in Bandar Baru Klang. This is the last of the Installation dinners I am attending this year. Members turned up in full force, with the exception of Shireen Ng, who regretfully had to stay back at work. And club President Mike Cheang squeezed in two project speeches just before dinner was served and I was asked to be the evaluator for Mathew Varughese who presented CC speech # 9: Persuade with Power. Unfortunately, he did not quite achieve the first objective that is to persuade listeners to adopt his viewpoint or ideas or even to take some action. Mathew is a good speaker but this time, I suggested he repeat this assignment. Come to think of it, the venue and setting weren’t really appropriate for us to conduct speeches – but I did the evaluation anyway. After all, it benefited me too because my evaluation served as good practice as I prepare for the upcoming speech Evaluation contest.

The ustaz at the center of an UMNO-orchestrated donnybrook over the use of the Penang chief minister’s name in sermons, said the issue has been politicized. Zakaria Ahmad in his meeting with the state Religious Affairs Department and the Penang Islamic Affairs Council (MAIPP) on Tuesday insisted he was merely praying that non-Muslims be given spiritual guidance to embrace Islam. “Many ustaz do this but it is not an issue”, Zakaria, who is a PAS member, said (The Sun, August 25, 2010, p 2).

No comments: