I was one of two speakers at this evening’s KL Advanced Toastmasters meeting. I delivered CC speech # 4: How to Say It for the second time in a week. This time, my speech title was “Shiver and Tremble” and according to my lead evaluator, Sandrasegaran, DTM, it was a really good speech, except that I didn’t relate the title to the content very well. Okay, I must take the rap – it completely escaped my mind! And the other thing I could improve on was that I gesticulated excessively and as Lucky was quick to remind me, I was still showing off my Napoleon movement (y’know, flailing with one hand). They’re right – I must learn to move with purpose! But a guest, Hana gave me some nice compliments! She loved my intonation and animation. With me, I am not a boring speaker at all, she said. Now, how can I disagree?
American Malaysian Chamber of Commerce (AmCHAM) president, Nicholas Zefferys spoke bluntly – he was among speakers from the civil society, business lobby groups and academia who participated in a 10th Malaysia Plan (10MP) symposium – and one issue that was very much on the agenda was "reforms". He took the opportunity to wave a red flag, cautioning that Malaysia could not afford to move unhurriedly. He claimed that moving at a snail's pace is not good for the country because it would lead to the “ultimate bankruptcy” of Malaysia, and shared that “the days of incremental change are over... [Bankruptcy] happens slowly, slowly, slowly and then very abruptly.” This timely Zefferys alert was reported in The Malaysian Insider today (Webpage http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/10mp-panel-doubts-putrajayas-will-for-reform/).
“That’s the path that Malaysia is on today. Moral, political, economic bankruptcy.” And after he made that judgment, he gave Malaysians very sound advice. He said political will was ultimately the will of the people, and urged the public to demand “right-minded” change. “It’s time for Malaysians to stand up and have the political courage to come together to insist for the change... that’s in the best interest of all the people of Malaysia.” Hear, hear! Will Malaysians rally together and vote for change when the opportunity presents itself?


No comments:
Post a Comment