Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Typical Malaysian Family

I am just going to reproduce this write-up from Patrick Teoh, since we all can easily relate to this. It is about Najib of course, and as the former implies, we, Malaysians sure like to "angkat" important people to create a "feel-good" factor for the latter, he being our Prime Minister and all that crap that we have to endure until hopefully, the next elections...
It happens all the time. Have you noticed? This great need to be one with the people. Same as you and I. Normal. I am talking about all those VVIP's who would have us believe that they are no different from any Ali, Ah Chong or Samy in Malaysia . It happens all the time. When a Prime Minister resigns or when a new Prime Minister is appointed. And it sure happens when our Agung is installed. Pages in the media will be filled with news of how this person is a People's (insert what whatever VVIP title you like) Whatever. The latest in the series of "Please believe me I am just like you" stories appeared (April 06) in The Star.
PM's children lead normal life the headline read. This was about the children of our new PM, Najib. I almost choked on my fried meehoon when I read, "Their father may be the Prime Minister of the country but life for Riza Shahriz, Nooriyana Najwa and Norashman Razak is just the same as any other Malaysian." Just the same as any Malaysian eh? Okay. The kids all live and study abroad. In UK and USA. Presumably they have been there since pre-university level. In Malaysia, ORDINARY Malaysians are "persuaded" to study in Malaysia. And most 'ordinary' Malaysians can't afford to send their children abroad anyway. Same ah?
One of the PM's kids also said, "When we return to our lives in London or Washington DC, we still clean our own rooms and take out the garbage". Wow.


No comments: