Monday, October 6, 2008

The Birth of a Blog


After many months of frenzied activities, and with no end in sight – it is time I venture out to embark on another actvity – something that I had long wanted to do but seemed unwilling to take that first step. Until today. 

That's right, blogging. Better late than never, I guess.


Arnold Bennett once said that "the moment you're born you're done for". And as I birth this blog, I have accepted the fact that I am already done for.  

With this blog, I have started a neverending journey of self-discovery, of self-revelation, and opening myself to the world! I wonder how transparent I will become – but one thing's clear. As I bare myself, I will feel vulnerable, even exposed. It's a bit like dying, but not quite. 

I can't help it but I'll always have this uneasiness, maybe even apprehension creeping up on me. There's this anxiety of not knowing where all this blogging will lead to. 

But hey, it is all up to me. What I wish to disclose or not disclose is my decision and my decision alone.

Still, I am similarly caught up with this feeling of deja vu because I am now starting to write again after my pen eloped with my writing ambition many, many years ago. I had enjoyed writing – and I dearly wish to bring back those a-long-long-time-ago moments again. 

There's no running away from the fact that I am a doubting Thomas. I am very much aware there are so-o-o-o many bloggers out there – if I'm not mistaken, I recall that in Asia alone there are more than 24 million bloggers! To be honest, I'm feeling overwhelmed because every blogger has his or her own take on the world and everything else in it – and I am only now starting!

Ahhh... another quotation – this time, it's from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe – sneaks in and pops up in my head: "The most original authors are not so because they advance what is new, but because they put what they have to say as if it had never been said before". 

After saying it out loud, I feel better already. I am enlivened, exhilarated and even excited at this timely wakefulness, this new vigor, this activism that wells inside of me.

Besides, I tell myself that I am not blogging for anybody except for myself.

The time now is 1840 hours in Malaysia, and Victor Ong begins life as a blogger. Hip hip hooray!

6 comments:

Jue. said...

A toast for Mr. Victor!

Hey, it's Jue Lyn here and I am linking you up!

=)

The Love Doctor said...

O-M-G looks who's blogging now... we must baptize you now as an official blogger. nothing much. just a meal of Tony Roma's hehehe

butterflykisses said...

Victor...

"Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance." - Samuel Johnson

"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve". - Dr. Napoleon Hill

Wee Han said...

Nicely posted. Love the language and how the words flow with one another. And yes, when it comes to blogging.. it does make us a little vulnerable. but when you really think about it. WHY so serious about life? Let loose a little, chill.. and just let go a little, let away a tight grip sometimes enable us to see the world in a better view... in other words.. we become wiser in this neverending journey. Welcome to the blogger's club Mr Victor!

Unknown said...

Great writing and funny words too. Just a little curious about those quotations and references, I imagine that your table was piled up with all reference books at the time of blogging. If I were wrong, you would have an incredible memory for especially the lenthy French writer's name.

~ ah Pek ~ said...

OMG sir!!! haha.. I guess I can improve my english language in ur blog. because everyone is posting their comments and you'r writting in such a~~ hmm~~ un-descridable.. hehe.. but, sounds moody~~ =P