Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My Second Post

I had only 4-and-a-half hours of precious sleep yesterday (or rather this morning!), and I am half-dazed. I guess I'm still in a state of awe that I am blogging. 

Anyway, I am happily doing this because I can feel my creative writing juices starting to flow at a stirring pace. And it's a wonderful feeling that I am writing again. 

I'm preparing for my maiden speaking assignment this Thursday, at the D'Utama Advanced Toastmasters Club meeting – and I am cool about it. The speech is an ice-breaker, meaning any kind of speech that introduces myself to a Toastmasters audience. I reckon it'll be interesting to see (or rather, hear) how it turns out. 

OMG, finally, I will be speaking, which is not exactly something that is as exciting as writing. But then again... something I had also wanted to do. 

Steve Jobs comes to mind: “One can learn to become a great speaker but one needs to have both great content and great delivery. This is not an easy thing to do”. 

This is precisely why I joined Toastmasters. If the speech is about me – obviously that's the content part. For sure, I know what to talk about – it's the delivery that I must attempt to with flourish. I want to impress. 

Didn't Francois de La Rochefoucauld said, "We speak little if not egged on by vanity"? I'll take it as a rhetorical question – so I won't try to answer it. 

I'm contemplating doing my second Masters or some postgraduate course as part of my lifelong learning credo. I hope I won't get sidetracked because work has this insidious ability of subverting you and taking over your life. There was a 3-year gap between my undergraduate study and my MBA! In any case, spelling out my goal is a first step.

For readers who have posted or will be posting your comments, I say "Thank you"! I'm really grateful to hear from you. By the simple act of reading my blog and even giving me feedback – you have made me happy! 

Terima kasih. Xie xie. Nandri. Merci. Gracias. Dankie. Arigato. Gamsa haeyo. Salamat po. Khwap khun. Спасибо. متشکرم. Chezu tinbade. Grazie. Obrigada. Shukran.

At 1730 hours, I am signing off... and Ill be cherishing the peace and quiet for now

6 comments:

SumBoy said...

Heya Glam,

Heard about ur blog this afternoon and decided to hop in and check it out. It's great to read what's happening in your life, at least now we know what is in that big brain of yours.. Now too I know why you are wrking so hard. 2nd masters sound pretty good for me..

Quoting Daisaku Ikeda:
"When you clearly envision the outcome of victory, engrave it upon your heart, and are firmly convinced that you will attain it, your brain makes every effort to realize the mental image you have created. And then, through your unceasing efforts, that victory is finally made a reality."

Tell me when you are gonna start your 2nd masters Glam. I'll be supporting you

Wee Han said...

Why the name GLAM?? Sounds fabulous! anyway. just want you to know that you have a bunch of wacky yet playful students here to support you on your 2nd Masters. It's something good to aspire towards and definitely setting a role-model for the rest of us to follow.

"A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on a cold iron." by Horace Munn.

sounds like something you taught us in class today no? wait.. i meant yesterday.. Hmm..

Inspiration.

Diana Chew said...

Glam? Glamorous? wow.... 2nd masters....... *applause**applause*

i. had a crush on you said...

victor!! hahaha. you really started a blog. i see i see. now we can all stalk what you'd do when we dont see you =D

Chia Yee said...

when u start ur 2nd master, i have to start saving money. if u leave the college i have to do 4 distance learnings =.=" wow~

anyhow, second masters sounds good. support!

Orange Armada Inc. said...

this mah man,blew me away.keep writing wonderful lad.and wow you know that many thank you's in different languages.hats off!