I am still new to this blogging activity, having started just this month. But as I post my reflections, I do feel somehow connected to people everywhere who are blogging. I know this may sound corny, but there is this comforting sense of belonging, knowing that you are part of a blogging community that is vibrant and alive! I am also slowly exploring other blogs and learning much about people out there – it is really engaging and revealing. Blogging is fun, and yes, I am enjoying it!
I like Thomas L Friedman's definition of a blog, which he describes as "your own personal virtual soapbox, where you can get up every morning and, in the form of a column or a newsletter or just a screed, tell the world what you think about any subject, upload that content onto your own Web site, and then wait for the world to come check it out". ("The World is Flat", 2006, p 117).
I believe that people read a particular blog purely for reading pleasure.
I like to believe that when I blog, it is much more than just me merely expressing my thoughts on ‘random’ things. I don’t blog for blogging’s sake. I like to think it has a higher purpose. To me, blogging edifies, enlightens and engages.
In fact, I would even venture to regard blogging as a “pedagogy”.
I remember reading somewhere that blogging actually supports four key areas: reading, writing, reflecting and sharing. Meaning, blogging is a strategy to facilitate learning.
As an academic, obviously, I support the proposition.
My blogs offer even more value.
Reading blogs benefits you in two ways here – first, you are reading what you are reading and second, you are improving your vocabulary at the same time. You will encounter words which are totally new for you and reading blogs will give you an idea about the word usage, i.e. how they are used in a sentence. `
Therefore, I’m staking a claim that my blog offers additional value. I know, for a fact that I would intentionally incorporate new words and even include literary devices in my posts. Wherever possible. I daresay, these can only enhance, enrich and elevate my posts.
I just read a text message I received from Chan Siew Peng, a Toastmaster – who informs me that she enjoyed my ice breaker speech! Nice. It makes me feel good inside.
Now that I've started on my speeches, my journey as a Toastmaster has really begun!
Deepavali is very nearly upon us and I'm looking forward to the celebration!


1 comment:
greetings..keep up wif the blogging work k mr victor..we stamford students will support u!!
Post a Comment