Saturday, September 26, 2026

Frightened, Fearful, Fragile: The Architecture of Connection

On Friday, I attended another Toastmasters meeting – this time at YMCA Kuala Lumpur – where I presented a prepared speech. 

I am indebted to NAWEM's Catherine Paul who connected me to Ranjina Jacob of YMCA KL Toastmasters Club, who kindly gave me a speaking slot. It means a lot to me because the speech "Frightened, Fearful and Fragile" represents my #952 speech! 

My speech reframes public speaking anxiety not as a sign of weakness, but as a metric of deep respect for the audience and the cost of achieving excellence. By openly weaving the raw realities of being "frightened, fearful, and fragile" throughout the narrative, I served as a living example of the message. 

When all is said and done, this reveals a speaker who views the stage not as a comfort zone, but as a crucible for constant self-challenge.

This is my personal opinion πŸ‘‰. I felt that the whole meeting ambience was low-key and reserved. I wouldn't say that the members were rigid, and yet, the environment felt restrained. This is likely because most of the members present are relatively new and naturally finding their footing. 

However, the deeper issue seems to be that they haven't properly understood why things were done the way they were done, possibly because the foundation passed down by the club's seniors wasn't entirely clear, coherent or even complete to begin with. 

Having said this, of course, the club is free to choose how they wish to run their meetings. I note that my views may not be agreeable to others – and I accept that.



































Yay-y-y! I'm delighted to have pushed out 3 more sets of my public speaking books (6 copies total across both titles).

No comments: