In an online petition, created by Michael Westwood who runs Britain's "cheapest pub", more than two million people have backed calls for another election, just months after Labour's landslide victory against the Tories.
The petition – set up on the UK Parliament's website on November 20 – states: "I would like there to be another General Election. I believe the current Labour Government have gone back on the promises they laid out in the lead up to the last election". As of the last update, the petition has raked up 2,184,000 signatures and counting.
According to the guidelines, any petition that asks for a change to the law or to policies gets a response from the government after 10,000 signatures. After 100,000 signatures, petitions are considered for debate in the parliament.
Even Tesla boss Elon Musk chimed in on the issue by re-posting a message about the success of the petition and even claiming it is evidence the "people of Britain have had enough of a tyrannical police state".
Not surprisingly, Prime Minister Keir Starmer (left) has dismissed demands for a new general election. He said: “Look, I remind myself that very many people didn’t vote Labour at the last election. I am not surprised many of them want a re-run”.
According to The Independent on Tuesday, the majority of signatories to the petition are concentrated in Conservatives or Reform safe seats. Although, over a million signatures have come from constituencies with a Labour MP.




No comments:
Post a Comment