Saturday, August 24, 2013

Altantuya Murder Acquittals












 
Image credit: 
http://www.malaysia-today.net/mtcolumns/newscommentaries/58948-altantuya-murder-sirul-azilah-walk-free

Two former police commandos were freed on Friday after the Court of Appeal allowed their appeal and overturned their conviction for the 2006 murder of Mongolian Altantuya Shaariibuu.

A three-member bench comprising judges Mohamed Apandi Ali, Linton Albert and Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat made the unanimous decision to allow the appeal by former chief inspector Azilah Hadri and former corporal Sirul Azhar Umar. The Court of Appeal said that the High Court judge failed to establish facts and the prosecution did not produce a key material witness. [Azilah and Sirul were jointly charged and convicted by the High Court in Shah Alam in 2009 for murdering Altantuya in Shah Alam in October, 2006]. 

This is a bizarre turn of events. I find it really strange – shouldn't the Court of Appeal order a retrial rather than acquitting the duo? This verdict means that we are back to where we started. So who killed Altantuya?

I was at the OUM main campus to attend the OUM Toastmasters meeting. It wasn't a pleasant experience the last time I was there, i.e. July 06, 2013 and I thought I would give this club a second chance. And so today, I was there. The meeting agenda was very clear on the starting time – it said "3 PM sharp". The meeting commenced 3:27 PM. And five Table Topics speeches and two project speeches later, I left the meeting. I didn't wait for the meeting to finish. I was again disappointed! This meeting deserves a 1 over 10 score. 










No comments: