Friday, June 4, 2010

Greener Pastures

I think it's time for me to leave HICT for greener pastures! After all, I read in The Sun (June 04, 2010, p 2) that the Selangor state-owned sand-mining company concessionaire Kumpulan Semesta Sdn Bhd (KSSB) paid out more than half a million ringgit in bonuses to their staff after being in operation for just ten months! I slog so hard here at HICT, and what do I get? Sorry, I am being ungrateful. I have received much gratitude from my students – they do appreciate my contributions. While my pockets would have swelled with their thankfulness, I would also like to have copious wads of ringgits!
.
But I must confess – I am very tempted to join KKSB!
.
And another thing I picked up from this report – the huge bonuses (four fat cats were identified to have received huge payouts: company chairman Abdul Shukor received RM16,000 in December 2008 and RM32,000 in June 2009; Mohd Arif Abd Rahman RM12,000 and RM24,000; executive director Mohamed Ramli Abd Majed RM22,000 and RM60,000; and former KSSB advisor Anwar Md Nor RM30,000 in June 2009) were paid out to eight senior officials because they worked very hard and that they faced threats and risks in the sand mining business. Well, that is if we are to believe what Abdul Shukor said when he testified before the Selangor Select Committee on Competency, Accountability and Transparency (Selcat) inquiry on corruption allegations involving KSSB senior officials.

If we buy this argument – then our police and soldiers should be paid astronomical sums of money for merely staying in their jobs! Furthermore, Abdul Shukor said 40 police reports had been lodged on the threats received. If we again believed him – then, it merely showed the incompetence and helplessness of our Malaysian police in defending citizens’ interests. But can we really believe what Abdul Shukor was saying? The honor of the Royal Malaysian Police is at stake here.

No comments: