Monday, July 13, 2009

Michael


When the world mourned Michael Jackson, I was silent. It’s not because he doesn’t deserve mention in my blog – he does. But it took awhile for his untimely demise to sink in. I didn’t think he would leave this world so soon, y’see – someone as young as him – but I guess, death crept stealthily and pounced on him, sinking its teeth deep into his flesh and spiriting away all life from him. Simply put, his time had come. Still strangely enough, only by his death, did I begin to see him as a real person. It may be that I had always viewed him as being larger than life; he is a Rubik’s Cube that defies solving. To be sure, he was not unblemished – we are all fallible after all – but his talents shone through these imperfections, like icicles spearing the wintry night.

Michael Jackson once said: “And my goal in life is to give to the world what I was lucky to receive: the ecstasy of divine union through my music and my dance”. Well-said because he did fulfill his goal in life! Maya Angelou also said: “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel”. And Michael did make a whole world of people feel good, didn’t he? Michael Jackson (1958-2009), R.I.P.

No comments: