Saturday, September 4, 2021

Missing Appendage


A dragon penis is missing on the Welsh flag. And Rhŷn Williams has started an online petition to demand its inclusion! 

Y Ddraig Goch, or the red dragon, is the official heraldic symbol of Wales, whose visage has served as a formal symbol of the nation since around 1800. 


In 2016, the UK Royal Mint added the dragon's dong to the £20 coin – which is why some Welsh want it added to the flag as well. One might say that penile precedent has already been laid bare. 

According to that British bastion of rigorous journalism known as the Daily Mail, Williams also added the following commentary in a Facebook comment: “Who the hell knows why the poor sod was turned into an eunuch, it could be down to obscenity, it could be down to forgetting to include it, or it could be down to politics, where those responsible for producing the flags removed it to symbolise Wales' role within the British kingdom. 

This confusion has bewildered many artists, poets, songwriters and authors alike for centuries by mistaking his sex. But what we do know is that the penis is still being added via royal imagery so this should convince the Welsh government to add a penis to our flag”. 

I'm not Welsh and I’ll admit, I don’t have a clue about the mythology of Y Ddraig Goch nor do I know anything about Welsh nationalism. So I can't speak to the symbolic political or cultural weight of that mythical creature's penis. 

Still, I say, give the dragon the dick it (he) deserves! Make it (him) complete!  

I just checked and learned that there are now 794 pro-penis signatories, which is enough – the minimum number required to ensure that Y Ddraig Goch's dong will at the very least be discussed by the Petitions Committee is 51 signatures – but for it to be considered for formal debate in the Senedd Cymru (Welsh Parliament),  it’ll need more than 10,000 signatures. 

So far, it doesn’t seem to have broad support among the Welsh. 

No comments: