Sunday, May 23, 2021

60 Push-Ups

If any single exercise draws universal applause, it's the push-up. 

While it would be somewhat misleading to call it the complete exercise, it comes pretty close. Contrary to popular belief, you can build muscle with bodyweight exercises like the push-up. In this exercise, your body actually becomes a weight as gravity pulls you to the ground. Your upper body must work against this force, creating muscle. 

I have read that for push-ups, a good standard to aim for when it comes to muscular strength for most men is the ability to perform 30 push-ups in a row. 

Thirty push-ups a day will build your chest, add definition to your arms and increase your muscle mass. And it's real-life upper body strength, too. 

While your arms do the actual pushing when you lift your body off the ground, in doing so they set off a chain reaction of muscle activation. In addition to your biceps and triceps, this includes your shoulder and chest muscles. 

I'm pleased to say it’s not an issue for me to do thirty at one go – in fact, I’ve gone past that. My February 22, 2021 post on “Push-Ups” already confirmed what I could do. 

Of course, I know that to continually build strength with bodyweight exercises, I must increase my rep count, Just like regular weight room work, if I don't keep challenging myself with bodyweight exercises, I will not make strength improvements. 

I’m now onto 60 push-ups. It's been two weeks since I've done this.

I reckon it's time to test myself with a push-up workout, "The 60 in 60 Challenge". Meaning, do 60 push-ups in 60 seconds. 

And that is my next target!

No comments: