Tuesday, December 6, 2022

A Collector of Wheelies

I thought I was an oddball because once upon a time, I collected restaurant menus and swizzle sticks. But for Alexander Smoljanovic, it’s all about bins.
 
You could say he’s obssesed with wheelies. The German national has over 100 full-size wheelie bins lined up in his garden at home, but the one he really wants for his collection is only available in the UK. 
 
The bin enthusiast wants the rare purple Sulo 240-litre bin so much he contacted a local newspaper in Buckinghamshire, UK – the county that gave birth to his passion when he lived there 15 years ago. 
 
He told the Bucks Free Press: “I have miniatures and real wheelie bins from USA, Australia, France, UK, and Germany. Almost every color is available. The most valuable colors are purple, gold, silver, and transparent. Every time I’m searching for special wheelie bins, I’ll contact the local newspaper. I’ve had over 80 articles now and every time was very successful with my search”.
 
The avid collector is prepared to offer money to get his desired bin – but people often donate them for free! They are bins after all! 
 
There are a few purple Sulo bins in circulation. The one from 2010 is much lighter, and the older 2002 version is a darker shade of purple that the bin buff says is ‘beautiful’. 
 
If you have a purple Sulo that could do with a new home, kindly contact webnews@metro.co.uk and they’ll pass the message on.

No comments: