Thursday, April 2, 2020

Angelina Jordan

I first came across Angelina Jordan (left) when I spotted her on an AGT: The Champions episode on YouTube. (This was during the Covid-19 stay-at-home period, you understand and life moves at a snail’s pace). 

She sang an Elton John song, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" – and I perked up. I savored her voice and I absolutely loved it. Check her out here:

Of course, she progressed to the next stage and she did a remarkable interpretation of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”. (I was livid she did not win in the Final – never mind, as far as I am concerned, she's a winner).

And when I googled her, I discovered that she was just 7-years-old when she won Norway’s Got Talent in 2014. 

She has done more than 130 covers and in addition to the two above, I have picked another 3 which make it to my playlist.

Lana Del Rey’s “Born to Die” (2011):


Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “I Put a Spell on You” (1968):

 
I tell you, her version is as good as the other versions whether from Annie Lennox and/or Nina Simone and there are those who would venture to say it’s better than even the original!

Aretha Franklin’s “A Natural Woman” (1967):
Angelina Jordan is simply awesome!

Copyright Disclaimer: Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing.

No comments: