Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Nicol David Calls It a Day

On Monday, Malaysian squash queen Nicol David (left) has called time on her illustrious squash career. 

The 35-year-old and eight-time world champion has decided to hang up her racket for good at the end of the 2018/2019 Professional Squash Association season in June. 

"After more than 20 years playing squash for Malaysia, competing on the professional tour and achieving the utmost best from my career being the only Malaysian athlete to achieve these accolades and to be recognised as the greatest female squash athlete of all time by my peers, I can proudly say that I am ready and happy to announce my retirement at the end of this seasonal tour", said David. 

"This is a moment that every athlete must go through – to explore fully on what more there is in store for them. I am now at this point in my life, ready to take on more beyond the pro tour. 

She added: "My mind and body have battled it out to stay at the very top of my game for such a long time that I feel that I only have this last big push left for the final season to give it all I have before I enter the next phase of my life". 

Her announcement comes before her participation at the World Championships in Chicago, USA from Feb 23 to March 02, 2019.

The Penangite ends her distinguished career with 81 PSA titles from 102 finals. 

And she has held onto the world No. 1 spot for a record 109 months consecutively from 2006 to 2015. 

Nicol Ann David, you’re the star, shining brightest!

No comments: