Sunday, September 27, 2009

Accident

Yesterday, I watched a Cantonese movie, "Yi Ngoy" (Accident) starring Louis Koo, and Richie Jen – this is a Soi Cheang vehicle that is best described as an urban thriller. It is not your typical Hong Kong movie though because there are no chase scenes and not even a single bullet is fired.



The main character, Brain, played by Louis Koo, leads a small band of “hitmen” whose modus operandi is taking out targets by making them appear as accidents. But Brain is paranoid when a speeding car kills his wife. His paranoia grows when he is almost run over by a runaway bus and one of his members, “Fatty” is also killed in an accident in spectacular fashion. He is convinced that he is the target of an assassination. It is a story about one person’s paranoia and how this paranoia ultimately consumes him to the point of irrationality and delusion. I found this movie to be both compelling and intriguing. In fact, I become so completely engaged with the movie - is there a puppet master behind thescene, pulling all the strings to weave a master plan of 'accidental' deaths? Or is the lead person the obssessed psycho, thinking that everyone is out to get him? The suspicion of both is never confirmed, but not rejected either. That's why I liked this movie and yes, I enjoyed it.


From left: Louis Koo, Michelle Ye, director Soi Cheang, Han Yuqin and Richie Jen, pose during the photo call for the film "Yi Ngoy" (Accident) at the 66th edition of the Venice Film Festival in Venice, Italy, September 05, 2009 (AP Photo/Joel Ryan).

No comments: