Thursday, February 5, 2015

As I See It

I didn’t know that I am amongst illustrious company.
 
Chin Yeow Honn shared with me that a distinguished gentleman had once penned a weekly newspaper column under the title "As I See It". He is none other than Tunku Abdul Rahman (1903-1990) – the first prime minister of the Federation of Malaya, and later of Malaysia. His articles were then compiled into a book, also titled “As I See It”.

 







And another famous personality had a book titled “The World as I See It”. The author is Albert Einstein and it is composed of assorted articles, addresses, letters, interviews and pronouncements published before 1935. It includes Einstein's opinions on the meaning of life, ethics, science, society, religion, and politics and it was published in 1949.

 










As you already know, my blog which saw life on October 06, 2008 is titled “As I See It”. Almost six years and four months on, I am still actively blogging. Keep it up, Victor Ong!
 
ITC Bintang Toastmasters Club president Benny Chia extended an invitation to me to attend their meeting and I, of course, accepted it without hesitation. And so I was there at Federal Hotel in KL’s Jalan Bukit Bintang on a traffic-bloated Wednesday evening. I was an evaluator for Chia's HPL speech – and Chia being Chia, he did it differently. He partnered with Isabelle Zhen to present his “Sharing Moment” and he did it with panache and genuine excitement. The latter too was impressive and gave a polished performance that showed stylish shimmers of scintillating sophistication.
 
The other speeches were decent but the evaluations were much better. In any case, the meeting started late – by five minutes – but I am still giving it a pass score of a 5.5 over 10. BTW, I was voted Best Table Topics speaker.
 





















 
In a FA Cup match yesterday, Bolton Wanderers scored first through Eidur Gudjohnsen's contentious penalty (59) but Liverpool staged a stirring late comeback to strike twice to give the Reds a fifth-round tie at Crystal Palace.
 
Raheem Sterling broke Bolton's resistance with a cool finish in the 86th minute and then Philippe Coutinho curled a magnificent winner into the top corner in the 90th minute. The goals came at a really opportune time.

No comments: