Saturday, December 23, 2017

The 1989 Tiananmen Square Bloodbath

The 1989 protests began in mid-April and by early June the situation with the government was increasingly tense. On the night of June 03, 1989, the government began to clear the square and fired on the protesters. Photo credit: Catherine Henriette/AFP/Getty 

Tanks deployed in eastern Beijing, China, June 05, 1989. Photo credit: Liu Heung Shing/AP

Students and citizens responded to the government violence with rocks and molotov cocktails. Here a student trieds to stop the advance of a burning armored personnel carrier on June 04, 1989. Photo credit: Jeff Widener/AP 

A blood-covered protester held a Chinese soldier's helmet following violent clashes with military forces during the 1989 pro-democracy demonstrations in Beijing's Tiananmen Square on June 04, 1989. Photo credit: Shunsuke Akatsuka/Reuters 

The Chinese army crackdown on the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests killed at least 10,000 people, according to newly-released UK documents and reported by BBC News

The figure was given in a secret diplomatic cable from then British ambassador to China, Alan Donald. The original source was a friend of a member of China's State Council, the envoy says. 

Previous estimates of the deaths in the pro-democracy protests ranged from several hundred to more than 1,000. 

China's statement at the end of June 1989 said that 200 civilians and several dozen security personnel had died in Beijing following the suppression of "counter-revolutionary riots" on June 04, 1989. 

A shame that cannot be allowed to be forgotten! 

[Background: In mid-April 1989, students gathered in China's historic Tiananmen Square in a hunger protest for democracy. The protests would grow, gather support from their countrymen, and shake the Communist country to its core. And they would end in bloodshed, as the Chinese army used live ammunition and tanks to clear the square].

A thrilling Liverpool-Arsenal game that had me on the edge of the seat – especially, in the second half. 

On Friday, Philippe Coutinho scored in the twenty-sixth minute – the only goal in the first half. Goal #2 came from Mohamed Salah – a deflected strike in the fifty-second minute. 

And only then Arsenal woke up. Alexis Sanchez headed in Hector Bellerin's cross from close range one minute later before Granit Xhaka's thumping strike was too powerful for Simon Mignolet's weak save in minute fifty-six. Barely two minutes later Mesut Ozil put Arsenal ahead with a neat clip over the Red goalie. 

And I heaved a massive sigh of relief in the seventy-first minute when Roberto Firmino's powerful finish earned Liverpool a 3-3 draw in a pulsating EPL encounter. The point meant Liverpool held onto fourth place, with Arsenal remaining fifth – a point behind the Reds. 

Liverpool have not been faring well at all. Their last match on December 13 saw them goalless against West Bromwich Albion. Three days earlier, they drew 1-1 with Everton. 

Their last win was on December 02 when they thumped Brighton & Hove Albion 5-1.

No comments: