Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Rodrigo Duterte Threatens Martial Law

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s approach to the drug scourge has been violently confrontational.
 
Already, nearly 6,000 people have been killed in six months under his anti-drugs crackdown. And about a million drug dealers and users have handed themselves in to police.
 
Duterte (left) says he is acting to prevent the country from becoming a narco-state.
 
On Saturday – in a speech he made to businesspeople in Davao – he inserted his ominous warning: “I have to protect the Filipino people. It is my duty. And I tell you now, if  I have to declare martial law, I will declare it".
 
He added: "No one will be able to stop me”.
 
Does this mean that the killings haven’t helped to produce the outcome Duterte had expected – so much so that he has now threatened to impose martial law?
 
[Note: The last time martial law was decreed in the Philippines in 1972 under dictator Ferdinand Marcos, who said it was necessary to combat crime and a communist insurgency. It was lifted in 1981].
 
On Sunday, Liverpool and Manchester United drew 1-1.
 
A handball from Paul Pogba in trying to challenge Dejan Lovren earned the Reds a penalty. James Milner's footwork had too much accuracy even as the Red Devil goalie David de Gea went the right way.
 
Liverpool’s twenty-seventh minute lead was cancelled when Zlatan Ibrahimovic's headed in the equalizer in the eighty-fourth minute.
 
I was disappointed. The Reds are now third in the EPL table, seven points behind leader Chelsea.
 
Yesterday, I was in Jalan Hose in KL to attend the NAWEM Toastmasters meeting.
 
I delivered a CC #9 titled “Get Serious”. This is my project speech #517, CC Round #40.
 
Only three speeches remaining.

No comments: