Friday, January 6, 2017

Farewell, Old Master Q

I can remember my younger days – whenever I had to go to the Indian barber – my enforced trip there was made less disagreeable when I could browse through tattered comic books featuring Lao Fu Zi (or Old Master Q, as he is also popularly known). 
 
Well, their creator, author-cartoonist 93-year-old Alfonso Wong Kar-hei (or better known by his pen name Wong Chak) died in the US of A on January 01, 2017 – where he had emigrated for retirement in 1995.
 
Wong’s Old Master Q comic strips first began appearing in local newspaper columns in 1962 just a few years after he moved to Hong Kong from Tianjin, China. They were serialized in 1964 and became an instant hit. And they continue to be published to this day. 
 
Some examples:









 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
There is no doubt that Old Master Q is one of Hong Kong’s most beloved and enduring Chinese comic characters.
 
Rest in peace Alfonso Wong. You have made us smile and brought us laughter.
 
Last evening, I was at the D’Utama Toastmasters meeting – to deliver a CC #4 titled “The Love of Pain”.
 
In actual fact, on Wednesday (01:31 AM, to be precise), Division D Director Henry Fu whatsapped me and informed that one speaking slot was available. It was mine for the taking if I wished. I needed only one minute to say yes.
 
I was voted Best Speaker. Overall, it was a good meeting.
 
 

No comments: