Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Haiti is Not in Good Shape

 
 
Nearly seven years ago, Port-au-Prince in Haiti crumbled.

Kindly check out my post at this March 10, 2010 link https://helpvictor.blogspot.my/2010/03/when-does-suffering-end.html?m=0

Authorities had estimated that 1.5 million people were living in over 1,500 camps in July 2010 – six months after the earthquake devastated the Haitian capital.
 
At least 50,000 people are still encamped in these makeshift settlements today.
 
The rest had raised enough money to rebuild homes, received rental subsidies from the government and aid groups that got them back on their feet, or had been evicted by private property owners.
 
The International Organization for Migration which is working with a final $7 million (RM31 million) to resettle displaced Haitians will soon be out of money for the effort.
 
And even if the agency had more cash, it would still be challenging to find housing for people in a country where more than half the population survives on less than $2 (RM8.85) a day and adequate housing is increasingly expensive.
 
I also read that there are those who don’t want to leave the camps – and in many cases, these camps morphed into shantytowns.
 
Haiti is not in good shape and it will remain in this state for a very long, long time.
 
On Monday, I was at the KL Advanced Toastmasters meeting in Bangsar, KL. And I delivered my CC speech #3 Get to the Point titled “Building Castles in the Air”. 
 
I was elated because I was voted Best Speaker.
 
 

No comments: