Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Defeat at the Federal Court

The Federal Court today dismissed Anwar Ibrahim's bid for judicial review of his sodomy conviction.  

Anwar had asked the apex court to either set aside his conviction and sentence by the Court of Appeal and the Federal Court or have the Federal Court rehear his appeal.

[Note: On February 10, 2015, the Federal Court upheld an earlier 2014 ruling by the Court of Appeal for the conviction and five-year prison term of Anwar over the sodomy of his former political aide, Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan in 2008].
 
With this unanimous decision, all legal avenues have been exhausted.
 
I am not surprised actually. In Malaysia, we must accept that justice is elusive.
 
Anwar’s family put up a brave front. His daughter, Lembah Pantai MP, Nurul Izzah Anwar, said: “While Anwar is in jail, I want all of us to use his strength. This is not the end. We will fight for it".

Yesterday, Celtic battled it out with Hamilton Academical. Match stats for this Scottish Premiership game showed the former had 64% of possession and 15 shots – and yet Celtic only managed to win by just one goal.

Tom Rogic had put Moussa Dembele clear and he unselfishly set up strike partner Leigh Griffiths to slot home in the thirty-sixth minute. 

This evening, I was at Eulogia Community Center, No. 11, Jalan SS 26/6, Taman Mayang Jaya in PJ – where one scheduled speaker’s withdrawal enabled me to speak  there. Thank you to Joanne Yong for thinking of me! 
 
So at the PJ Toastmasters meeting, I presented a CC #7 speech titled “The Gift of Death” and I was voted Best Speaker.

In fact, I didn't have any speech slots lined up for this week – having done six speeches last week itself. Still, I am glad I could manage at least one. And it was my 501st speech.

No comments: