Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Malaysia's Education Policy is Stupid

"Stupid".
 
The Sarawak Chief Minister Adenan Satem (right) has labelled the Malaysian education policy some 30 years ago as “stupid”.
 
On Sunday, he opined that it was unintelligent to neglect the English Language and overemphasize Bahasa Melayu.
 
And that is why so many graduates these days could not get a job because they cannot speak proper English, he had explained.
 
Adenan declared: “We have to do international trade, and all contracts will be in English. Let’s be practical, and that’s why I say Sarawak must promote English together with Bahasa (Melayu/Malay) at the same time.”
 
And he even expressed doubts that Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka can translate all the scientific papers and articles produced on a daily basis, pointing out that hundreds and thousands of books on science and mathematics are in English.
 
I agree. We should have emphasized both English and Malay.
 
On Saturday, I attended the MIMKL Toastmasters meeting where I was invited to take up the General Evaluator role.
 















 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I sensed that this club has lost much of its vitality. Even enthusiasm. And more worryingly, its purpose.
 
My two cents’ worth of feedback.
 
Still, I know both the President and Vice President Education are trying very hard to make things better. Good luck to them!

No comments: