Saturday, July 23, 2016

SEGi University Student Commits Suicide

I am sad to report yet another suicide.
 
Two Sundays ago, a 29-year old female hanged herself. She was a student at SEGi University Kota Damansara. She suffered from bipolar disorder.
 
I am not sure what drove her to do what she did – but a life is lost.
 
I know that people with bipolar disorder experience periods of unusually intense emotion, changes in sleep patterns and activity levels, and unusual behaviors – called “mood episodes”. And just because you suffer from bipolar disorder does not mean that you are doomed. It is treatable.
 
Consider one person I know who has this manic-depressive illness – and yet, today, she leads a fulfilling life.
 
Tan Su Mei wrote today: "Discovering that I had Bipolar I Disorder came as a relief to me. It was an explanation to my extreme high moods and depressing lows. It made me understand more about myself and allowed me to start working on recovery through medication, art and therapy. The diagnosis was only the beginning and my condition did not stabilize for another few years. The main reason was because I kept taking myself off the medication as it dulled my personality and made me feel emotionally numb.
 
However after 5 years and 3 hospital admissions, I finally found a combination of medication which did not make me feel like a zombie, I was able to feel regular feelings without getting in to a manic or totally depressive mood. It is not something that happens overnight but Recovery means constantly trying to live a fulfilling live despite having the symptoms of your disorder.

It is achievable but you cannot do it alone. You need to learn to trust not only your medical professionals but also your family and friends. It is all about harnessing this incredible amount of positive and negative energy that comes from within. Through that, we can do anything we set out to achieve and nothing, especially not our disorder should hold us back from living life”.
 
Tan Su Mei. Pic credit: Sarah Ho
 
We need to really appreciate how precious life is!

No comments: