Monday, February 8, 2016

More Versions of the RM2.6 Billion Story

The New York Times reported February 05, 2016 that Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir (left) did not believe that the $681 million (RM1.2 billion) which made its way into PM Najib Razak’s bank accounts was from the Saudi government or that it was a political donation.
 
He was also quoted as saying the money was likely from a private Saudi citizen and it was for an “investment in Malaysia”.
 
The daily also quoted a member of the royal family and a close associate of the family, who spoke on condition of anonymity, as saying that the money had come from a Saudi prince, but that it was not a donation.
 
The associate also reportedly questioned the sum, but said the funds were part of a business deal.
 
In any case, the above runs counter to what Najib and his minions had claimed – that the money was a political donation for use during GE13 and for fighting terrorism.  

Attorney-General Apandi Ali (left) was quoted as saying in yesterday’s The Star’s report on his interview with the Chinese language Sin Chew Daily that a son of the late Saudi king donated the RM2.6 billion.

King Abdullah Abdulaziz Al Saud who passed away in January last year, had nine sons and ten daughters. 

Apandi had declined to reveal his identity but added that Malaysia Anti-Corruption Commission officers had recorded a statement from the donor and that he had read the report.


This time, he abstained from spelling out the reason for the said donation. He said the question has to be directed to the donor. He said the latter has billions. If he had wanted to give money to whoever, Apandi had asked, so what?
 
Different versions have been spun. What to believe? Who to believe?
 
On Sunday, in the Scottish Cup fifth round, Celtic secured victory over East Kilbride. Two scrappy goals from corners were the Lowland League side’s undoing – from Leigh Griffiths in the twenty-first minute and Colin Kazim-Richards in the fiftieth minute.

 

No comments: