Saturday, February 6, 2016

France Investigates Najib Razak’s Role in Sub Deal

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

French prosecutors have launched a formal investigation into whether Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak was paid bribes over a long contentious $1.2 billion Scorpene submarine deal when he was defense minister.
 
The Paris prosecutor's office said Bernard Baiocco, former president of French defense group Thales International Asia, had been placed under formal investigation on suspicion of "bribery of foreign public officials" and "complicity in misuse of corporate assets", according to the Financial Times on Thursday.
 
This comes after Agence France-Presse reported that Baiocco was indicted on December 15 last year for paying “commissions” to Abdul Razak Baginda, a close friend of Najib. Abdul Razak admitted that he was paid €30 million (RM137 million) to consult on the arms deal, lobby for it and oversee the eight years of its execution – but he maintained the money was never used to bribe officials.
 
Baiocco's lawyer Jean-Yves Le Borgne denied it was corruption – adding that prosecutors had no proof to show Najib received the payment. He said the prosecutors were attempting “judicial acrobatics” in trying to prove the cash found its way to Najib or any government official.
 
A lot of money for being a middleman. I can try very hard to consider accepting the argument if Abdul Razak is a specialist with vast knowledge in submarine engineering or maybe even, weapons engineering to be able to give expert advice to the Malaysian government – rather than being a mere political analyst.
 
French prosecutors declined to name the Malaysian officials suspected of being bribed, said the FT report. But three persons close to the investigation told the newspaper that judicial documents named Najib and Abdul Razak.
 
The FT quoted a Malaysian government spokesperson as dismissing the allegations against Najib as "baseless smears for political gain". Furthermore, the Malaysian PM had not benefited from any payments linked to the 2002 contract.
 
And with an air of finality, he added firmly: "There is absolutely no evidence of any wrongdoing and there never will be".
 
I suppose Najib would like us to believe that he has arse luck – being dogged by endless controversies that are not of his doing. He is innocent, after all.
 
Did you remember my post about the Saudi royal who was alleged to have made that RM2.6billion donation to PM Najib Razak – at this link
http://helpvictor.blogspot.my/2016/01/najib-razak-is-not-guilty-says-ag.html  kindly consider the fact below:












Lies, lies, lies!

No comments: