Wednesday, November 18, 2015

What Do Teachers Make?

Teachers (and also lecturers) generally do not figure highly in most people’s appreciation lists. And being underpaid and over-worked does not help us feel good about ourselves either.
 
Worse, if you are one of those morons who like nothing better than to put us down. Indeed, if you are one of them, then kindly give a listen to Taylor Mali. He provides the ultimate comeback for anyone with the audacity to ask what a teacher makes!

Still, I would prefer a heartfelt “Thank you” anytime.

And this is very true: 

 
 















Yesterday, I was at the Metropolitan Bilingual Toastmasters meeting where I delivered my CC speech #7 titled “Suicide”. The Thursday incident was still very much on my mind – and I decided to speak about it because we really shouldn’t be in denial. 
 
As part of my research for the speech, I had come across one article saying that between one and two suicides were reported daily in Malaysia for the period 2008 to 2010 – according to the National Suicide Registry Malaysia's statistics. Health director-general Dr. Noor Hisham Abdullah added that this was based on post-mortem cases and that the actual statistics were likely to be higher. Whether or not you care to admit it, the fact remains that suicide is a growing problem. Why won't we face up to it?
 
At the meeting, I received a Best Table Topics ribbon too. There were no ribbons for Project Speaker and/or Evaluator because only two speeches were presented. And there were only eight of us at Wisma WIM in TTDI, Kuala Lumpur.
 

 







No comments: