Thursday, June 12, 2014

Malaysia No 12 in World Hockey Standings

The Hockey World Cup (May 31-June 15, 2014) at The Hague, Netherlands has been a sad, sad story for Malaysia. 

We had a lousy start. We were thrashed 0-4 by defending champions Australia and we followed this up by losing to Belgium (2-5), England (0-2), India (1-3) and Spain (2-5). We lost all five Group A matches! No easy feat!

And to determine the eleventh and twelfth places, Malaysia took on South Africa today and again, the former was trounced 2-6 by the latter. In other words, we finished last. 

Malaysia’s best ever performance in international hockey was in the 1975 World Cup when we came in fourth. And in the Olympic Games, we managed eighth place twice – in 1972 and 1976 – the results rank as our best in the Olympics. 

Malaysian hockey has indeed fallen from grace. 

On Wednesday afternoon, I was at Quill 9 in PJ’s Jalan Semangat to attend the GSK Malaysia Toastmasters meeting. I was privileged to listen to two great CC speeches #10 and they inspired me. I was the General Evaluator but I wasn’t that happy because members were not managing their time well. I would give this meeting a score of a 3.5 over 10. 





















In the evening, I was in KL’s Jalan Tun Sambanthan 3 in Brickfields for the MIA Toastmasters meeting, I was an evaluator for a speech delivered by a Bangsar Toastmaster who did CC speech #8. Good speeches and evaluations make a good meeting! I would give this meeting a score of a 7 over 10.











 

No comments: